Load the HostBridge Redis for ZOS software to your machine
To download the installation files and transfer them to the host:
Download the HostBridge for Redis installation package by saving the following attachment to your PC: Redis_Install.zip
- Unzip the installation package to a directory on your desktop.
- Transfer the unzipped files to the host using FTP as follows:
File Name On Desktop
|File Name on Host (or create your own names)||Transfer Type||Record Format (RECFM)||Record Length (LRECL)||Block Size (BLKSIZE)||Space Needed (in tracks)|
Unpack the installation files
To unpack the installation files,
- From the TSO option 6 panel, issue the following command: TSO RECEIVE INDSNAME('REDIS.XMITJCL') and press the Enter key.
- When prompted for restore options, enter DSNAME('REDIS.V30R1.JCL') and press the Enter key - the PDS will be created.
- From the TSO option 6 panel, issue the following command: TSO RECEIVE INDSNAME('REDIS.XMITLOAD') and press the Enter key.
- When prompted for restore options, enter DSNAME('REDIS.V30R1.LIBRARY') and press the Enter key - the library will be created.
- From the TSO option 6 panel, issue the following command: TSO RECEIVE INDSNAME('REDIS.XMITSAMP') and press the Enter key.
- When prompted for restore options, enter DSNAME('REDIS.V30R1.SAMPLIB') and press the Enter key - the PDS will be created.
The names of the input and output files can be changed to conform to your naming standards.
You will need approximately 70 tracks of space for the two PDS's and one library created above.
You do not have to preallocate the space: the RECEIVE command will do it for you.
Create a Redis Master File
- Edit the job REDIS.V30R1.JCL(GENMASTR), changing the JOB card and data set names to conform to your installation standards.
- If you wish to have a CHECKSUM in your Redis database, change the PARM='RDBCHECKSUM NO' to PARM='RDBCHECKSUM YES' in the DEFMODEL step in the JCL.
- Submit the job; a return code of zero indicates a successful execution. If you receive a return code of other than zero, contact HostBridge Support.
Customize the Redis Configuration File
- Edit the REDIS.V30R1.CONF file that you previously uploaded to the mainframe.
- Change the statement port 6379 to define what TCP/IP port Redis should be listening to in order to receive commands. (6379 is the default.)
- Save the file.
Modify the Redis Job and Start Redis
- Edit the job REDIS.V30R1.JCL(REDIS), changing the JOB card and data set names to conform to your installation standards.
- Submit the job; it should run as an ongoing task until terminated by the use of the console command P, REDIS. If the job immediately fails, contact HostBridge Support.
As an alternative, you can modify the REDISP proc in the REDIS.JCL PDS, store it in a PROCLIB (renaming it REDIS), and start REDIS as a started task.
Install the Redis Client Command Line Software (for use with the IVP)
- Download the Redis-2.8.17 client package by saving the following attachement to your PC: Redis_Client.zip
- Unzip the downloaded file and store the unzipped files (which should all be in folder redis-2.8.17) on your PC.
Run the Installation Verification Procedure
Click the Windows icon on your toolbar, and you will see:
In the search commands and files box, type cmd and press the Enter key. You should see:
Navigate to the redis-2.8.17directory that was unzipped in the prior step by using the cd command. You should see:
Enter the following command: redis-cli -h your-mainframe-ip-or-domain -p your-port-number where your-mainframe-ip-or-domain is the IP address or domain name that you use to access your mainframe from outside, and your-port-number is the port number defined in the Redis configuration file (default of 6379). When the request is issued by pressing the Enter key, you will see the following:
Enter the command set fred flinstone and press the Enter key. You should see the following:
Enter the command get fred and press the Enter key. You should see the following:
Enter the command hmset depts:101 name "trinkets" group "souvenirs" floor 2 and press the Enter key. You should see the following:
Enter the command hgetall depts:101 and press the Enter key. You should see the following:
Enter the command quit and press the Enter key. You should see the following:
Enter the exit command to exit the command protocol.
If at any time you receive a response other than the one indicated in the example output above, check the syntax of the commands that you entered and try again. If the problem persists, you should contact HostBridge Support.
You have now successfully completed the installation of the free version of HostBridge Redis for zOS. You can get further information about the various Redis commands by visiting the website http://redis.io/documentation.
A sample database to load may be found here.
We will provide additional sample databases and user interfaces as we develop them.